Search

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Ex by Alafair Burke


Rating: 4-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"Widower Jack Harris has resisted the dating scene ever since the shooting of his wife Molly by a fifteen-year-old boy three years ago. An early morning run along the Hudson River changes that when he spots a woman in last night’s party dress, barefoot, enjoying a champagne picnic alone, reading his favorite novel. Everything about her reminds him of what he used to have with Molly. Eager to help Jack find love again, his best friend posts a message on a popular website after he mentions the encounter. Days later, that same beautiful stranger responds and invites Jack to meet her in person at the waterfront. That’s when Jack’s world falls apart..." [+ more]


I liked it enough to give it 4 stars. I love these type of thrillers and anything that has to do with the law.

At first, it was so obvious that Jack was framed that I thought if the author was really going to make it as simple as that. Then, as I was reaching the end, Jack didn't seem innocent anymore and once again, I thought if the author was going to actually make him guilty! The point is, that the plot kept me guessing and I never saw coming who the real culprit was.

I will never get tired or ranting about this stupid comparisons to Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. Why God, oh why? The MC in this book was someone completely different!!! Arghhh.

Okay, back to the book, I so enjoy all the tricks of collecting evidence and court jargon (even if I don't understand it).

So yeah, the ending was unexpected, specially with the romance that was thrown in there in the last page (it made sense though).